When you discover that the default file format in your iPhone’s pictures is HEIC and also you wished JPG as an alternative, right here’s how you can change it again.[UPDATE]
From Wikipedia: “The Excessive Effectivity Picture File Format (HEIF) is a container format for particular person photographs and picture sequences. HEIF picture information are sometimes saved with filename extensions .heif or .heic. ” [or .HEIC]. It was launched by Apple in iOS 11.
iOS 13.x has not modified the know-how since I wrote my unique article on April 3, 2019. Mainly, as a refresher, I outlined:
- Easy methods to change backwards and forwards between HEIC and JPG file format in your pictures.
- Why your screenshots are at all times in PNG format.
- Why the JPG picture format ends in movies being shot in 1080p/60 fps. It certain can be good to permit each JPG and a default of 4K/UHD/60 fps, however Apple has not but seen match to separate the picture and video preferences.
- Easy methods to convert HEIC pictures to JPG. I additionally discovered this current article to be properly written and useful.
- Extra (good) studying on why the HEIC format exists.
Home windows 10 helps the HEIF format, however there’s numerous momentum on the facet of JPG. Within the final two years, I haven’t seen any indication of a dramatic, widespread shift to HEIF/HEIC aside from, maybe, some skilled photographers. Lastly, in early 2019, Google’s Android Pie began providing assist for HEIC.